Embassy of Belgium in Washington, DC

Language: NL | FR | EN

Main menu

Return to our homepage Bookmark / Add to Favorites Printer Friendly Search website  


Living in the US


If you worked in Belgium, you may apply for a retirement pension. A full pension can be collected at age 65 or a reduced pension starting at age 60. If your deceased spouse worked in Belgium, you may apply for a survivor’s pension (pension checks will not be addressed automatically to the surviving spouse !).  

My spouse was receiving a pension from Belgium and passed away ? What do I do ?

First of all, don’t cash the checks coming from Belgium with his/her name, you would have to reimburse these amounts. Notify immediately the Pension Office in Belgium by sending them a certified copy of the death certificate. You can then apply for a survivor’s pension.

How do I apply for a retirement or a survivor’s pension ?

As a result of the Social Security Agreement between the USA and Belgium and because you reside in the USA, you request the application forms for a Belgian retirement/survivor’s pension through the US Social Security Administration, either your local branch or the:

Social Security Administration - Office of International Operations
P.O. Box 17049
Baltimore, MD 21235
Tel : 1-800-772-1213

website : www.socialsecurity.gov

Fill out the application forms, mail them back to the US Social Security that will forward them to Belgium. You will then receive from Belgium another set of forms to be filled out by yourself and then certified by the Belgian Embassy or Consulate of your place of residence. Your pension will then be calculated in Belgium. Your combined income from the Belgian pension and other pensions you receive may not exceed a certain amount. Take into account that the whole application procedure may take about a year.

What institution in Belgium is in charge of pensions ?

For employees:

Office National des Pensions (ONP)/Rijksdienst voor Pen-sioenen (RVP)
Tour du Midi/Zuidertoren
B-1060 Brussels
Tel: 011-32-2-529-21-11
Fax: 011-32-2-529-38-45

Information about the allocation:

Tel: 011 322 529 2311 (in Dutch)
      011 322 529 2748 (in French or German).

Information about the payments:

Tel: 011 322 529 3001 (in French)
       011 322 529 3002 (Dutch)
       011 322 529 3003 (in German). 

Fax (for all): 011 322 529 2159

For the self-employed:

Institut National d’assurance sociale des travailleurs indépendants/Rijksinstituut voor de sociale verzekeringen der zelfstandigen

Place Jean Jacobs 6/Jan Jacobsplein 6
B-1000 Brussels
Tel: 011 322 507 6211
Fax: 011 322 511 2153  or   011 322 513 0413

How will my pension be paid ?

The amount of your pension will be calculated in Euro and unless you have a bank account in Belgium, it will usually be paid monthly - yearly if it is a very small amount - with a check in USD.   You will receive the check by mail at the end of the month. Once or twice ayear, you will receive a « life certificate » which you will have to fill it out to keep receiving the pension. Your signature on this life certificate has to be legalized by going in person tot the consular representation or to a notary public, with a picture ID. Then mail the form immediately back to Belgium. Always inform the Pension Office if any change occurs regarding your address, profession, civil status or the other pensions you receive, as this may influence your Belgian pension.

What will  the amount of my pension be when I retire ?

You can contact:

Service « Info-Pension » BP 175
B-1060 Bruxelles
Tel: 011 322 529 2531
Fax: 011 322 529 2172

For more information, contact the above-mentioned institutions or open the following link.

Bilateral agreement between the US and Belgium regarding social security procedures and entitlements



Search | Site Map | Downloadable Forms | Legal Disclaimer | Comments

Copyright © 2006 Embassy of Belgium in Washington

Belgian Federal Government