Embassy of Belgium in Washington, DC

Language: NL | FR | EN

Main menu

Return to our homepage Bookmark / Add to Favorites Printer Friendly Search website  


Taking Pet Turtle/Iguana/Lizard

Traveling from the U.S. to Belgium with your pets
Sending pets unaccompanied to Belgium

Traveling from the US to Belgium with your pets

There are two levels of importation formalities:

  • the sanitary importation formalities

  • the CITES importation formalities.

1.1. Regarding the sanitary importation formalities

If you are traveling on the same plane with your pet, the formalities are simple. You must ask your veterinarian to fill out an International health certificate.

Your veterinarian must mention the following statement on the certificate:

I ….(the veterinarian will have to write his name) certify that I personally checked the animal and I concluded that the animal is in good health, fit to travel and exempt from any usual disease associated to the specie.

The health certificate must be issued within 48 hours prior to the travel.

1.2. Regarding the CITES importation formalities

First get the scientific name of your animal

Check if your animal belongs to the species protected by CITES
CITES is the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species which protects many species of animals and plants to ensure that commercial demand does not threaten their survival in the wild. To know more about CITES, you can access their web site at http://www.cites.org/CITES/

If your animal belongs to the list of endangered species protected by CI

Get a CITES Export Permit delivered by the American Authorities.
To do so, please contact Fish and Wildlife at the following address:

United States Department of Interior
Fish and Wildlife Service
Convention of Washington - Office of the Management Authority
4401 North Fairfax drive - Room 700
Arlington, VA 22303-3507
Tel: (703) 358.2104 or Tel: 1.800.358.2104
Fax: (703) 358.1732 or Fax: 703.358.2281
http://www.fws.gov (International Affairs)

Get a CITES Import Permit delivered by the Belgian Authorities.
To do so, the importer must submit a CITES Import permit request to the Belgian Veterinarian Services at the following address:

The Belgian Veterinary Services
Dhr. Moelans Joan
World Trade Center III - 24th Floor
Boulevard Simon Bolivar 30
B-1000 Brussels
E-mail: import.export@favv.be


Caution! The importer will have to join to the request a copy of the CITES Export Certificate issued by the American authorities.

Sending pets unaccompanied to Belgium

You have to follow the same procedure as described above.

There are 2 additional requirements:

  • You must get an Import Authorization.

  • You must request your veterinarian to specify on the health certificate that the animal is free of Salmonella sp.

2.1. How to get an Import Authorization

After the Belgian Veterinarian Services in Brussels examine your request by, they will send you back the Import Authorization.

You will have to attach this authorization to the International Health Certificate and the CITES certificates if needed and make sure that your animal will travel with this paperwork.

For your convenience please find enclosed some useful addresses, phone and fax numbers :

Embassy of Belgium
3330 Garfield Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel: 202.333.6900
Email: washington@diplobel.org
Belgian Veterinarian Services
Dhr. Moelans Joan
World Trade Center 3 - 5th Floor
Boulevard Simon Bolivar 30
B-1000 Brussels


* In any case, we also highly encourage the owner to double check with the airline company about any additional requirements.

* The animal must travel with the original of the certificates.

* For information on taking your pet back into the United States, please contact the US Department of Agriculture at




Search | Site Map | Downloadable Forms | Legal Disclaimer | Comments

Copyright © 2006 Embassy of Belgium in Washington

Belgian Federal Government