Embassy of Belgium in Washington, DC

Language: NL | FR | EN

Main menu

Return to our homepage Bookmark / Add to Favorites Printer Friendly Search website  


Visa for Students (Higher Education)

NEW: Biometric visa at the Embassy of Belgium in Washington, D.C.

People who apply for a visa at the Embassy of Belgium in Washington, D.C. will receive a visa which contains biometrics. At the moment of your application, a picture and your fingerprints will be taken.

To determine the consular office where you should introduce your application and to check office hours, please  click here.



Please submit in person:

1. Passport, valid for 15 months.

2. Two original visa application forms, duly completed, dated and signed.

3. Two recent passport pictures, signed on the back.

Include three sets of the following documents (one original set of documents and two copies) collated and stapled:

The originals will be returned to you together with your passport and visa.  You will need them when you register at the city hall of your residence in Belgium.

4. For students 21 years and over : a nationwide criminal history record (FBI Identification Record) covering the last five years, obtained from the FBI CJIS Division (Record Request, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306), dated within six months of your date of application for the visa. For more information, please go to the FBI website.

Please note that a nationwide criminal history record  is required for all students 18 years and over, if the student intends to study at a non accredited institution.

5.  A medical certificate according to the model enclosed, on the doctor’s letterhead. For a list of doctors affiliated with the Embassy or the Consulate General, click here.

If you choose your family physician, the doctor's signature needs to be notarized. The medical document should be less than 3 months old from the date of your application.

6.  A duly notarized financial support declaration
(Dutch/English form - French/English form), signed by the applicant’s parents or sponsor, guaranteeing payment of travel, living, educational, medical and repatriation expenses.

The signature of the sponsor needs to be notarized by a Notary Public, but the sponsor may also sign the financial support declaration in person at the Embassy or Consulate General. The fee for this is 14.00 USD.

Scholars who have a scholarship or grant should submit original proof of this.

7. proof of solvency of parents or sponsor (attestation from bank; letter of employment, pay slips covering a period of 6 months).  As a guideline, the amount of about 6.000 USD should be available to the student on an annual basis (excluding tuition).

8. An attestation from a fully accredited academic institution, certifying that the applicant is accepted and/or registered as a regular, full-time student or research student. For Fullbright and BAEF scholars, a letter from the sponsoring organization is required.

9. Visa application fee: 70.00 USD in cash, certified check or money order. Personal checks are not accepted.

In the Embassy in Washington, you can also pay with a credit card.


A personal appearance is required and you must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate General in whose jurisdiction you reside.

If you wish to make the application by mail (this is possible at the consulates in New York, Los Angeles and Atlanta, but not at the Embassy in Washington, DC), the following requirements apply:
(1) your signature on the application form must be notarized (certified) by a notary public of your place of residence in the U.S.

(2) do not send your application documents to an Honorary Consul. The application will be processed by the Embassy or by a Consulate General. Always make sure you mail your application to the competent Embassy or Consulate General.  Only the Honorary Consuls in Nassau (Bahamas) and San Juan (Porto Rico) may accept visa-applications and they will send them to the Embassy..


After verification of your application, a personal appearance will still be necessary to collect your passport with the visa.

Please request your student visa at least three weeks prior to your intended departure date The normal processing time for this type of visa is one week. For non US citizens, the processing time may be considerably longer.

Married students:

For your dependent family members (also 1 original with one copy and an extra set of originals for use in Belgium):

A complete application package as stated above, and in addition:

- For your spouse : the birth certificate and the marriage certificate with an apostille.

- For the children : the birth certificates with an apostille.

- Proof of lodging for the whole family: please make arrangements to obtain accommodations prior to your intended departure (the International Student Office of the university in question may be able to assist you).

- Proof that the principal visa applicant is authorized to reside in Belgium (copy of registration at a university)

If the spouse and/or children are not US citizens, please contact the consular office for further instructions.

You will need translations (in French or Dutch) of the US birth certificates and marriage certificates to register in the commune where you will reside.



If you wish to apply for a student visa for academic year 2006/2007, your application will have to be processed before November 15, 2006. For current and up-to-date instructions for the coming year, please contact the appropriate consular office in April or May of each year.

Also, applications by students enrolled in an educational institute not recognized by the Belgian state have to be referred to the appropriate Belgian authorities for processing.  Certain restrictions apply and the processing time will be much longer than the indicated three weeks.

Please request your student visa at least three weeks prior to you intended departure date.  The normal processing time for this type of visa is one week.  For non US citizens, the processing time may be considerably longer.


It is important that you register yourself and your family at the local City Hall within 8 days of your arrival. The local authorities will provide you (and your family members) with an identity document for a foreign student temporarily living in Belgium. This document will allow you to enter and leave the country. This document will also show the exact duration of stay.



Search | Site Map | Downloadable Forms | Legal Disclaimer | Comments

Copyright © 2006 Embassy of Belgium in Washington

Belgian Federal Government