Embassy of Belgium in Washington, DC

Language: NL | FR | EN

Main menu

Return to our homepage Bookmark / Add to Favorites Printer Friendly Search website  


Visa for Visitors

General Information
Visitors (Schengen visa)


NEW: Biometric visa at the Embassy of Belgium in Washington, D.C.

People who apply for a visa at the Embassy of Belgium in Washington, D.C. will receive a visa which contains biometrics. At the moment of your application, a picture and your fingerprints will be taken.

The Belgian visa offices in the United States are open in the morning only, in general from 9:30 AM until 12 PM. 

The visa offices of the Schengen countries are closed on all U.S. holidays and on the national holidays of the individual countries.

For the consular representative in your jurisdiction, go to the chapter relating the type of visa that you want to apply for.   Please note that honorary consulates do not issue visa..

If you need additional information about Schengen visa, please contact one of the SCHENGEN VISA OFFICES (click here).


It is advisable to apply for the visa at least three weeks prior to your prospective departure date. 

Holders of Schengen visa are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country and are therefore not guaranteed automatic entry.

VISITORS (Schengen Visa)

American Citizens do not need a visa when they travel to Belgium for business or for personal travel. The stay in the Schengen area should not exceed 90 days in a 6 month period. Please note that the American visitor will need to present a valid American passport (validity at least 6 months), proof of sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.

The Schengen visa is valid for the following 15 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. A Schengen visa issued by an Embassy or Consulate of the above countries allows the holder to travel freely in all of these countries.

If you are not a US citizen and you don't know whether you need a visa, please contact the Embassy or the Consulate General.


1. If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, apply at the Embassy or Consulate of that particular country. You apply at the Embassy or Consulate in whose jurisdiction you are a resident.

2. If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.

3. If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.


A personal appearance is required and you must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate General in whose jurisdiction you reside.

If you wish to make the application by mail (this is possible at the consulates in New York, Los Angeles and Atlanta, but not at the Embassy in Washington, DC), the following requirements apply:
(1) your signature on the application form must be notarized (certified) by a notary public of your place of residence in the U.S.

(2) do not send your application documents to an Honorary Consul. The application will be processed by the Embassy or by a Consulate General. Always make sure you mail your application to the competent Embassy or Consulate General.  Only the Honorary Consuls in Nassau (Bahamas) and San Juan (Porto Rico) may accept visa-applications and they will send them to the Embassy..


After verification of your application, a personal appearance will still be necessary to collect your passport with the visa.


1. A passport or official travel document with a validity that exceeds the intended stay of the applicant by at least three months. Please make sure your passport has a spare page to affix the visa.

Note: if the passport or travel document is not recognized by one or more Schengen countries, it is still possible to obtain a visa. This visa will then be restricted to those Schengen countries which accept the passport or travel document.

2. One visa application form (English (Pdf or Word) / Dutch (Pdf or Word) / French (Pdf or Word) / Spanish (Pdf or Word) / German (Pdf or Word)) and one recent passport-size photo. Please fill out the application form completely and legibly in black ink.

3. Proof establishing the purpose of your trip, for example a letter of invitation, proof of participation in group travel, etc. If the purpose of your trip is business, please present business references.

4. Proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of your intended stay:

  • letter of employment
  • bank statements or pay-slips covering at least 3 months

The Consul may always request additional proof of solvency.

If you intend to visit a family member or friend a financial support document as specified next to number 5 may be required.

5. Proof of lodging, i.e. hotel reservations, rental of vacation home, stay with a family member or friend. In the latter case, a financial support document signed by the family member or friend in question is the best way to prove that support is available; the signature of this person has to be certified by the local Belgian municipality. The guarantor should also provide you with a copy of his/her Belgian identity card (as proof of legal residency in Belgium) and a certified copy of his/her salary statement showing sufficient income.

6. Proof that you can continue your trip after your visit to the Schengen countries, i.e. onward or return airline ticket and visa if required. If your application needs to be forwarded for prior approval to the Belgian authorities, please do not yet purchase your ticket. In the latter case, proof of reservations is required. You will have to show your ticket upon issuance of the visa only.

7. If returning to the U.S., a valid U.S. resident alien card or a valid U.S. visa. Students should present a valid I-20; Exchange Visitors should present a valid I-66.

8. If you are a minor, please present written consent of a parent or guardian having the care and custody of the child. The signatures on this document have to be notarized.

9. Proof of  travel/accident insurance to cover possible medical expenses, hospitalization costs and/or repatriation for medical reasons while traveling in Belgium or in other Schengen countries. Minimum coverage must be at least 30,000 EURO. Please provide a photocopy and the original contract which will be returned to you.  You will have to show proof of travel/accident insurance when entering the Schengen area.

10. The applicant is informed that submitting the before mentioned documents does not guarantee automatic issuance of the visa. The consul may always require supplementary proof to verify if the visa-application is justified.



The visa application fee is non-refundable, whether your visa is actually issued or not.

The current Belgian Schengen visa application fee is :        49.00 USD for all of following visa types

Visa A

Airport transit visa, no entry:  

Visa B

Transit visa with entry max. 5 days:  

Visa C 1

Visitor's visa, maximum 30 days,1 entry or multiple entries:  

Visa C 2

Visitor's visa, 90 days maximum, 1 entry:  


Visitor's visa, 90 days maximum, multiple entries:  

Visa C3

Visitor's visa, duration 12 months, multiple entries (exceptional cases):  

The fee must be paid in cash (exact change please), certified check or money order. Personal checks are not accepted.  The check has to be paid to the order of "the Embassy of Belgium" or the "Consulate General of Belgium in ... (place where you apply for the visa)"

In the Embassy in Washington, you can also pay with a credit card.

A Schengen visa is issued free of charge to the spouse and children of European Union nationals. The spouse should present a marriage certificate (duly translated into English when necessary) and the E.U.-citizen's passport. The minor children should present a birth certificate.



Search | Site Map | Downloadable Forms | Legal Disclaimer | Comments

Copyright © 2006 Embassy of Belgium in Washington

Belgian Federal Government